- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Lsk man gets 6 months for keeping dog meat in his houseBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 29 Jan 2019
The Lusaka Magistrates’ Court has sentenced a 36-year-old man of Barastone Park to six months imprisonment with hard labour for keeping dog meat in his house, thereby polluting the air.
The 36 year-old was reported to police by his relatives last year after tenants at their farm complained of the smell and flies which were coming from his room.
In this case, Felix Zulu was charged with one count of fouling air contrary to section 189 of the Penal Code Chapter 87 of the Laws of Zambia.
It was alleged that on December 23 last year, Lusaka, Zulu voluntarily did vitiate the atmosphere thereby making it noxious to health of persons, in general, dwelling namely Francis Kayula Zulu’s farm.
He had pleaded guilty before magistrate Nsunge Chanda.
Facts in this matter were that; on the material day his brother Brian saw him washing a slaughtered dog and later put it in a bucket and went with it in the house.
Upon seen that, Brian decided to inform the elder brother Nelson, who later reported the matter to the police.
Felix’s relatives decided to report the matter to the police because their tenants at the farm informed them that they were inconvenienced by the smell and flies which were coming from the accused’s room.
His brother Nelson, in the company of the police, managed to apprehend him and got the dog caucus which was in the bucket.
And when the matter came up, Monday, magistrate Chanda found Felix guilty and convicted him of the charge.
This was after he failed to give a clear response as to why he was keeping dog meat in the house.
“I did not cut the dog in pieces…I was removing the fur from the dog. It was in a plastic bag then I took it in the house,” he said.
In mitigation, the accused asked for forgiveness from the court saying he had realised that he was wrong.
Magistrate Chanda, however, sentenced him to six months imprisonment with hard labour after noting that the offence he had committed was serious.
She said Zulu’s behaviour was intolerant and unhealthy because there was no way he could keep something rotten in the house, to pollute the air.
“The offence you committed is serious. There’s no way you can keep dog meat in the house. The ones who went to complain are your brothers. Why should you keep dog meat in the house? And they were suspecting that you were consuming it, which is very unhealthy. So I have to punish you so that others can know that you are not supposed to do that,” said Magistrate Chanda.
“You are old enough to know what you are supposed to eat. That behavior is intolerant. You cannot keep something which is rotten in the house, to pollute the air. I’m sentencing you to six months imprisonment with hard labour with effect from today.”
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Soko not entitled to any of his claims, RTSA tells court - 21 Feb 2020
- Kambwili has the right to criticize govt, ZNBC staffer tells court - 21 Feb 2020
- ConCourt throws out LAZ’s application to jail Tutwa for contempt - 21 Feb 2020
- Court orders release of IMS boss’ passport - 20 Feb 2020
- $1m claim in costs by Rephidim, 2 others is inflated, says Vedanta - 20 Feb 2020
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing (16,897 views)
- Where is the father while the mother weeps “amwa peeling?” (11,110 views)
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption (9,159 views)
- Lungu renews Bible Society membership, as netizens drag him back to gassing (4,857 views)
- Those lying about knowing gassing masterminds will be charged for causing alarm, warns IG (4,113 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- The real ritual killer is The Mob
- Those lying about knowing gassing masterminds will be charged for causing alarm, warns IG
- Please China, spare us from Coronavirus
- Careless comments on gassing will breed chaos – ZCCB
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing
- It’s every man for himself under Lungu – Milupi
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption
- Chilubi outcome shows 2021 polls won’t be free and fair – AVAP
- Criminals are changing tactics, soldiers can’t root them out instantly – Chama
- Bill 10 has polarized Zambia – Kabimba
- Lungu renews Bible Society membership, as netizens drag him back to gassing
- Soko not entitled to any of his claims, RTSA tells court
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend