- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Mwana Lubaba Mine sues State over land ownershipBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 14 Apr 2019
Mwana Lubaba Mining Company Limited has sued the State and a miner in the Lusaka High Court seeking a declaration that it is the equitable owner of a plot in Kalomo District having been physically shown the land back in 2004.
The mining company is also seeking an injunction to restrain the said miner from carrying out any activity on its plot until the matter is determined.
It has sued Ronald Kawaya, a miner, as first defendant and the Attorney General, sued on behalf of the Ministry of Mines, as second defendant.
In a statement of claim filed in the Lusaka High Court, the mining company stated that Kawaya was a miner based in Kalomo.
It stated that in 2004, it applied for a plot in Kalomo, and was shown by plot SP 105 by Ministry of Mines surveyors.
The company stated that its director accepted the plot on behalf of the company, adding that it had been mining on the plot since and had invested about K1,222,000.
It claimed that on regular basis, the Ministry of Mines surveyors had been touring and inspecting mining plots in Kalomo, including Plot SP105.
Mwana Lubaba Mine added that in all those visits undertaken by surveyors in the last 15 years, none of the surveyors or anybody had raised any query about its presence on the same plot.
“In fact, Kawaya has for a long time been doing business with the company, bringing stones to the company for sale and coming to the same plot for transactions. Kawaya knew that the mining company was physically shown the plot way back in 2004 and that the Ministry of Mines through their surveyors make regular visits to the mining plots in Kalomo,” read the statement of claim.
The mining company wondered how the Ministry of Mines could offer the plot in question to Kawaya when they knew that it was occupied by the company.
Mwana Lubaba Mine is now seeking a declaration that it was the equitable owner of the plot, an injunction restraining Kawaya whether by himself, his agents, or servants from carrying out any activity on the plot until the determination of the matter, damages, costs and any other relief.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- High Court stays revocation of recognition agreement between UNZALARU, management - 25 Feb 2020
- Court refuses to grant bail to 18 men charged with rioters injuring building - 25 Feb 2020
- Soko not entitled to any of his claims, RTSA tells court - 21 Feb 2020
- Kambwili has the right to criticize govt, ZNBC staffer tells court - 21 Feb 2020
- ConCourt throws out LAZ’s application to jail Tutwa for contempt - 21 Feb 2020
- Lungu ill advised, no wonder Kingsland injunction has embarrassed him – Harrington (5,194 views)
- Police arrest UNZA veterinarian on false ‘possessing offensive weapon’ charge (4,370 views)
- God hates such useless prayers! (4,087 views)
- An opposition party is causing confusion in the country - Kampyongo (4,011 views)
- Lungu, his family enjoying because Zambia remains safe - Bowman (3,260 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- Foreign missions unpaid for upto 4 months, govt says there’s no money
- High Court stays revocation of recognition agreement between UNZALARU, management
- 2021 poll will be a tight race – ECZ
- MMD MPs still studying Bill 10
- Police arrest UNZA veterinarian on false ‘possessing offensive weapon’ charge
- Cyber bullying keeps women out of politics, laments WfC
- Deploy cops to man schools vulnerable to gassing – ZNUT
- Court refuses to grant bail to 18 men charged with rioters injuring building
- Lungu, his family enjoying because Zambia remains safe – Bowman
- Mushimba’s explanation on delay to pay universities absurd – Miti
- Internet blackout in S/Province suspicious – Katuka
- Africans must stop tolerating corrupt leaders, urges former SA minister
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend