- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Maid admits poisoning boss’ breakfastBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Jan 2020
A 44-year-old housemaid who was dragged to court for allegedly administering poison to breakfast prepared for her female boss has pleaded guilty in the Lusaka High Court.
Naomi Muyemba had initially pleaded not guilty in the last sitting but opted to change plea when the matter came up on Wednesday before High Court judge Ruth Chibabuka.
Particulars of the offence are that on July 6, 2019 in Lusaka, Muyemba jointly and whilst acting together with others unknown unlawfully and with intent to harm, administered unknown poison to four slices of bread meant for Petronella Nkumbakwa.
Facts in this matter are that in July last year, Muyemba with intent to harm, maliciously administered unknown poison to four slices of bread and fried eggs meant for her boss Nkumbakwa, a manager at TATA Zambia Limited.
Nkumbakwa started preparing herself for work and by the time she was done, her maid Muyemba had finished preparing her breakfast.
But since she was late, she could not eat at home, opting to carry the breakfast.
While driving on Chilimbulu road, Nkumbakwa discovered black substance in powder form on the four slices of bread and eggs that Muyemba packed for her breakfast.
She later took the substance to the Food and Drugs Laboratory at the University Teaching Hospital where it was tested and indicated that it was poison.
Muyemba was later apprehended in connection with the offence.
After being interrogated, Muyemba led the police to her employer’s residence and also led them to her bedroom where a variety of traditional medicines was discovered including the poison in her bag.
Justice Chibabuka convicted Muyemba upon her on admission of guilt.
In mitigation, Muyemba through her lawyer from the Legal Aid Board pleaded with the court to exercise maximum leniency on her, saying she was a first offender, deserving leniency of the court.
The lawyer said Muyemba was remorseful for her actions and that she promised never to repeat the offence once given a second chance.
“The now convict is remorseful and vows never to repeat the same offence if given a second chance. She tells me that she endevours to live a crime free life,” Muyemba’s lawyer said.
Her lawyer asked the court to consider the fact that her client readily pleaded guilty, therefore not wasting the court’s time and resources.
Justice Chibabuka however, said she would sentence Muyemba today.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Soko not entitled to any of his claims, RTSA tells court - 21 Feb 2020
- Kambwili has the right to criticize govt, ZNBC staffer tells court - 21 Feb 2020
- ConCourt throws out LAZ’s application to jail Tutwa for contempt - 21 Feb 2020
- Court orders release of IMS boss’ passport - 20 Feb 2020
- $1m claim in costs by Rephidim, 2 others is inflated, says Vedanta - 20 Feb 2020
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing (6,892 views)
- Those lying about knowing gassing masterminds will be charged for causing alarm, warns IG (5,207 views)
- Please China, spare us from Coronavirus (3,877 views)
- Where is the father while the mother weeps “amwa peeling?” (2,710 views)
- Lungu renews Bible Society membership, as netizens drag him back to gassing (2,248 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- Mobs kill four more, as police nab 14 for murder
- The real ritual killer is The Mob
- Those lying about knowing gassing masterminds will be charged for causing alarm, warns IG
- Please China, spare us from Coronavirus
- Careless comments on gassing will breed chaos – ZCCB
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing
- It’s every man for himself under Lungu – Milupi
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption
- Chilubi outcome shows 2021 polls won’t be free and fair – AVAP
- Criminals are changing tactics, soldiers can’t root them out instantly – Chama
- Bill 10 has polarized Zambia – Kabimba
- Lungu renews Bible Society membership, as netizens drag him back to gassing
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend