- Goal Diggers
- Guest Diggers
Court jails man 6 months for insulting his parentsBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 5 Feb 2020
The Lusaka Magistrates’ Court has sentenced a 43-year-old man of New Chilenje area to six months’ imprisonment with hard labour for using vulgar language against his parents.
Michael Banda was in this matter charged with two counts of using insulting language.
It was alleged that on November 4, last year in Lusaka, Banda used insulting language on his father Tanisulani Banda and mother Ainely Mumba, conduct likely to give provocation to his parents so as to cause them break the public peace.
Banda had pleaded not guilty to the charges before Lusaka Magistrate Alice Walusiku and trial commenced.
But his parents, the arresting officer and other witnesses testified against him.
And when the matter came up, Monday, the Court found the accused with a case to answer and put him on his defence.
When the Court interpreter was explaining his rights, Banda said he had nothing to say in defence as the allegations were true.
Magistrate Walusiku then read the charges to Banda again, to which he admitted, saying he did not know what came over him.
Banda added that he did not know that insulting was a crime.
Facts in this matter were that on the material day, Banda went home and found his parents.
He insulted his mother and father’s private parts, the conduct likely to provoke the two as it was not the first time.
They reported Banda to Chilenje Police Station where he was interviewed, but he failed to give a satisfactory answer.
He was later charged and arrested for the subject offence and under warn and caution statement, Banda admitted the charge.
In mitigation, Banda asked the Court for leniency, saying what he did was bad and that he had learnt a lesson during the time spent in custody.
Sentencing him, Magistrate Walusiku noted that Banda was a first offender who had not wasted the court’s time by pleading guilty.
The magistrate, however, said what Banda did was wrong as he insulted his own old biological parents.
She said for the parents to report him to police and testify in court, it meant Banda was a problem.
Magistrate Walusiku sentenced him to three months’ imprisonment with hard labour in count one and two, which sentences would run consecutively.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Soko not entitled to any of his claims, RTSA tells court - 21 Feb 2020
- Kambwili has the right to criticize govt, ZNBC staffer tells court - 21 Feb 2020
- ConCourt throws out LAZ’s application to jail Tutwa for contempt - 21 Feb 2020
- Court orders release of IMS boss’ passport - 20 Feb 2020
- $1m claim in costs by Rephidim, 2 others is inflated, says Vedanta - 20 Feb 2020
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing (15,419 views)
- Where is the father while the mother weeps “amwa peeling?” (10,870 views)
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption (8,904 views)
- Lungu renews Bible Society membership, as netizens drag him back to gassing (4,654 views)
- Top Chingola cops implicated in gassing incidences (3,042 views)
Subscribe for news email alerts
ArchivesMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- «February 2020»
- February 2020
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- The real ritual killer is The Mob
- Those lying about knowing gassing masterminds will be charged for causing alarm, warns IG
- Please China, spare us from Coronavirus
- Careless comments on gassing will breed chaos – ZCCB
- PF official gets terrorism charges over gassing
- It’s every man for himself under Lungu – Milupi
- ACC probes Health Minister for corruption
- Chilubi outcome shows 2021 polls won’t be free and fair – AVAP
- Criminals are changing tactics, soldiers can’t root them out instantly – Chama
- Bill 10 has polarized Zambia – Kabimba
- Lungu renews Bible Society membership, as netizens drag him back to gassing
- Soko not entitled to any of his claims, RTSA tells court
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Send this to a friend