- by Mukosha Funga on 21 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 21 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 21 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 21 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Nov 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Nov 2017by Diggers contributor on 7 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 4 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 29 Oct 2017
Errol Hickey diesBy Mukosha Funga on 26 Feb 2017
BROADCASTER Errol Thomas Hickey has died after battling cancer.
Hickey, who died at a hospital in Lusaka this morning was born in Salisbury, in pre- independent Zimbabwe, but came to Zambia over 50 years ago.
Most of the iconic early images of an independent Zambia and first president Kenneth Kaunda are attributed to Hickey.
In 1996, Hickey established Zambia’s first independent radio broadcast station in Zambia; Radio Phoenix.
The radio stations talk show; “Let the People Talk”, became one of the most popular political phone-in programs and it still airs to this day.
Over the years, veteran journalists like Frank Mutubila, Anthony Mukwita, Kenneth Maduma, Sam Sakala and John Chola anchored the programme.
Like the mythical Phoenix bird which rose from its ashes, Radio Phoenix was twice engulfed in fires, but it was resurrected to continue broadcasting.
He had given up control of Radio Phoenix two years ago when his health started failing and some private investors from Botswana bought shares in the radio station.
Hickey also owned a lodge and an events and management company.
A few years ago, Hickey lost his wife, Ursula to cancer.
DSTV’s Zambezi Magic was the last TV station to document his life and his profile shall be aired in May.
Funeral arrangements are yet to be announced.
— Zambezi Magic (@zambezimagictv) June 4, 2016Related ItemsHeadlines
You may also like...
- Kambwili rules out reconciliation with Lungu: "I want to be called Mr President"
- PF to remove Financial Intelligence boss
- ‘Wife’ sues Muvi TV owner over matrimonial house
- Kaunda has not yet traveled to meet Mugabe -Spokesperson
- Lusambo vents anger on RDA for not awarding contract to his preferred companies
- Court refuses to resolve UNIP leadership wrangles
- PF will waste millions in compensation over illegally terminated contracts – TIZ
- Police place bounty on killers of Chinese national
- $25m ADB loan to building society will push national housing agenda – ZUFIAW
- The court’s ruling was very clear, ex-ministers must pay – Kampamba
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «November 2017»
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend