by Omphile Ndlovu on 21 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 21 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 20 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 20 Sep 2019
by Stuart Lisulo on 19 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 19 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 17 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 17 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Mazuba Muleya on 18 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 17 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 19 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 22 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Julia Malunga on 22 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019
High legal fees contributing to prison congestion – German envoyBy Tenson Mkhala on 29 Aug 2018
German head of cooperation Christoph Ritz says the high cost of legal representation fees charged on inmates and detainees have contributed to overcrowding of correctional facilities in Zambia.
Speaking during the launch of legal help desks at Lusaka Central and Kamwala Correctional Facilities, Tuesday, Ritz said overcrowding in correctional facilities is a long-standing problem with overall occupancy levels higher than collective capacity.
“High cost of legal representation fees on inmates have contributed to the current situation of overcrowding in correctional facilities. In Zambia, overcrowding in correctional facilities is a long-standing problem with overall occupancy levels three times higher than collective capacity. The immediate result of such high occupancy levels is that the State is unable to meet the basic and developmental needs of those detained in these facilities,” Ritz said.
He said the justice sector in the country is characterized by limited cooperation and co-ordination between justice institutions leading to ineffectiveness and inefficiencies in the legal chain.
“Further, [the] Zambian justice sector is characterized by limited cooperation and co-ordination between justice institutions, which especially in rural areas, often leads to ineffectiveness and inefficiencies in [the] legal chain, resulting in poor service delivery,” Ritz added.
He further said that in order to addresses challenges in justice system, the European Union (EU) and Germany have been working together to establish paralegal help desks.
“I am pleased to inform you that on this close cooperation with Zambia Correctional Service, and through the paralegal help desks, a total of eight correctional facility paralegal help desks have been established. I must state that we have one in Choma, Mazabuka, Livingstone, Ndola Kamfinsa and Chingola. In Lusaka, we have Kamwala and Lusaka Central Correctional Facilities,” said Ritz.
Meanwhile, Zambia Correctional Service deputy commissioner Tobias Mwanza said 389 out of 1,341 inmates at Lusaka Correctional Service have had legal representation.
About Tenson Mkhala
Tenson Mkhala is our resident photo journalist.
Email: tenson [at] diggers [dot] news
- Lungu’s continued association with Findlay damaging the Presidency – KBF - 20 Sep 2019
- Lungu must check his aides, they’ll injure him – KBF - 17 Sep 2019
- CSPR proposes performance clearance certificates for PSs before transfer - 13 Sep 2019
- Firing people just because they served previous govt is wrong – RB - 20 Jul 2019
- Mwitwa talking nonsense, Zambia needs about 500 constituencies – PF - 12 Jul 2019
- Evicted from govt house with no benefits after 40yrs of service (3,699 views)
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa (1,152 view)
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost (905 views)
- The Type of Permanent Secretary we Need in the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock (804 views)
- PF need a miracle to pass Bill 10 – Nkombo (581 views)
- The Type of Permanent Secretary we Need in the Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock
- Zambians have now turned to charcoal, forests are depleting
- Evicted from govt house with no benefits after 40yrs of service
- More North Korean Diplomats Caught Smuggling Animal Parts From Africa
- Solwezi man wins K67,147 from K5 bet
- Thanks to Goswami, Lungu’s chickens are coming home to roost
- HH shouldn’t be moving around like a cockroach in the kitchen - Bowman
- Zesco tariffs to go up by 75%, we also need to revise fuel prices - Minister
- Germany ambassador offers to help FAZ find a coach
- Airtel agent in court for defiling wife’s sisters
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend