by Mirriam Chabala on 15 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Oct 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Oct 2019by Mukosha Funga on 15 Oct 2019
by Ulande Nkomesha on 15 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Oct 2019by John Chola on 11 Oct 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 11 Oct 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Oct 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 14 Oct 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 15 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Oct 2019by Abraham Kalito on 7 Oct 2019
by Diggers Editor on 15 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 13 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 11 Oct 2019by Diggers Editor on 10 Oct 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 14 Oct 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 30 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Chibamba Kanyama on 25 Sep 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Felix Kashweka on 4 Oct 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 28 Sep 2019by Douty Chibamba on 25 Sep 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Sep 2019
Kaloba confining people to poverty, laments Nsenga chiefBy Zindilikani Banda on 1 Mar 2019
Chieftainess Nyanje of the Nsenga people in Sinda has expressed worry over the level at which her subjects borrow money from lending institutions and individuals who claim interest.
In interview, the traditional leader observed that unreasonable borrowing, commonly known as Kaloba, had brought misery and poverty among families.
“We need to borrow money with sense but it’s unfortunate that people don’t weigh themselves when collecting money from people. You find that someone borrows K5,000, an amount which they can’t pay back because they are poor such that even borrowing them K1,000 still won’t achieve anything. Surely, most people borrow money without a concrete purpose and at the end it attracts problems to them” she said.
She said it was sad that some people even travelled to Mozambique to borrow money.
“Some of these people even go to Mozambique to borrow money. I am told if you borrow K5,000 you have to pay back K10,000. Imagine! And they go ahead and when they are in trouble they come to me to help, how can I help when they crossed beyond their limit? It is sad that people don’t reason before borrowing and we are in problems because of such,” Chieftainess Nyanje said.
She appealed to money lenders to weigh people before lending them money to avoid causing problems.
“I think even lenders are at fault because they are able to see the poverty some people have even the way they look and appear but they end up lending such people more money which they can’t manage to pay back and at the end they take them to courts or police which is bad because some even if you take them wherever they won’t manage to pay back because poverty is what they live on,” said Chieftainess Nyanje.Related Items
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala (3,220 views)
- RDA, AVIC single sourcing deal pure corruption - Kambwili (1,419 view)
- Family members challenge newly installed Chief Nalubamba's legitimacy in court (1,221 view)
- UNZA congratulates Prof Nalubamba on his coronation as senior chief (1,112 view)
- UTH hikes user fees (1,026 view)
- Commission of Inquiry into violence report is public information – Chipampe
- Zambia’ll be a war zone in 2021 if violence isn’t curtailed – Mpombo
- Police arrest 11, recover combat uniforms in Chalala
- Family members challenge newly installed Chief Nalubamba’s legitimacy in court
- Milupi doubts Zesco’s pending power import deal with Eskom
- UPND bringing misery, they're praying against rains so that people kick out PF - Lungu
- Lusaka woman denies committing adultery with Patrick, Foreign Affairs PS
- Snake poison confusing Lungu, we've no powers to stop the rains - HH
- UPND starts legal action against PF over "gay rights lies"
- PF moves Parley motion to ban UPND for 'supporting gay rights'
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend