- by Mukosha Funga on 21 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 21 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 20 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 18 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 21 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 21 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 21 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 20 Nov 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Nov 2017by Diggers contributor on 7 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 4 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 29 Oct 2017
AG asks ConCourt to declare Lungu eligible for 2021 pollsBy Mukosha Funga on 3 Feb 2017
ATTORNEY General Likando Kalaluka has asked the Constitutional Court to declare President Lungu eligible to stand as a presidential candidate in 2021.
This is in a matter in which four opposition leaders, Christian Democratic Party president Danny Pule, Wright Musona of Zambia Republican Party, New Congress Party president Peter Chanda and Robert Mwanza of the Citizens Democratic Party, have petitioned the court seeking a declaration that President Lungu is eligible to contest the 2021 presidential elections.
In his submission, Kalaluka stated that President Lungu was currently serving his first term of office.
“Applying the foregoing Constitutional provisions to the current Republican President’s election on 20th January 2015 and 11th August 2016, it is abundantly clear that the term served by the current Republican President following the elections of 20th January, 2015 cannot be deemed as a term as the time he consumed office, less than three years remained before the date of the next general election,” Kalaluka submitted.
“Therefore, it is our submission that the current Republican President is currently serving his first term in office as President on account of having served for less than three years from 20th January, 2015 and as such he is eligible to stand as a candidate in the Presidential election of 2021.”
He urged the court not to place “undue regard to procedural technicalities” to ensure that justice was done.
“We submit that in order to exercise judicial authority in a manner that ensures that justice is done, this Honorable Court should not place undue regard to procedural technicalities. We contend that to argue that 2015 Presidential election does not fall within Article 106 (5) (b) on account of the Speaker not having performed executive functions prior to the 2015 Presidential election, is that a vacancy in the office of President occurred (following the demise of late president Michael Chilufya Sata) and that it was not under Article 81,” stated Kalaluka.
“We submit that the purposive interpretation which takes into account the foregoing will lead this Honourable Court to arrive at an inescapable position that the current republican President is eligible to stand as a presidential candidate in the year 2021.”Related Items
- Kambwili rules out reconciliation with Lungu: "I want to be called Mr President"
- PF to remove Financial Intelligence boss
- ‘Wife’ sues Muvi TV owner over matrimonial house
- Kaunda has not yet traveled to meet Mugabe -Spokesperson
- Lusambo vents anger on RDA for not awarding contract to his preferred companies
- 3 Zimbabwean women in court for stealing food from Pick n Pay
- Court refuses to resolve UNIP leadership wrangles
- PF will waste millions in compensation over illegally terminated contracts – TIZ
- Police place bounty on killers of Chinese national
- $25m ADB loan to building society will push national housing agenda – ZUFIAW
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «November 2017»
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend