- by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Aug 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Aug 2017by Tenson Mkhala on 17 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Aug 2017
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 15 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Aug 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 30 Jul 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
HH’s wife asks court to throw out libel suit for lacking meritBy Mukosha Funga on 28 Jul 2017
Hakainde Hichilema’s wife Mutinta has asked the Lusaka High Court to throw out a case in which a Lusaka man sued her for libel claiming K5 billion saying it is incompetently before court.
In his statement of claim, Simon Bobo had alleged that Mutinta issued a fabricated story on April 30 that he blocked her vehicle, took pictures and insulted her at the Lusaka Central Prison after she visited her husband.
But Mutinta observed that Bobo’s statement of claim did not contain the words complained of verbatim neither was the context and background provided.
“That the publications in which I allegedly made the defamatory statement have not been identified by name, date or description. That the plaintiff complains of his picture being cropped and used to publish a statement in the Zambian Eagle online publication, The Mast Newspaper and Watchdog but does not attribute the cropping of the picture in these publications to me,” Mutinta stated.
“That I am advised by counsel and verily believe the same to be true that the actual words complained of in a defamatory action must set out in the statement of claim to enable this honorable court to judge whether the words constitute a ground of action…the publication from which the words complained of were taken should be identified by name, date or description which has not been done by the plaintiff in this case.”
She further stated that the claim could not be amended and therefore asked the court to dismiss Bobo’s action with costs for not only being inherently defective, mischievous and unmeritorious but also for failing to disclose the cause of action as words complained had not been included.
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- ZANASU drags Luo to court over threats to ban students unions - 17 Aug 2017
- Minister explains mandatory HIV testing policy - 17 Aug 2017
- HH’s release first step towards restoring democracy in Zambia – Maimane - 17 Aug 2017
- Freeing HH proves Judiciary is independent – PF - 16 Aug 2017
- It is not a nolle: Treason case has been dropped in public interest – Mwiimbu - 16 Aug 2017
Weekly Most Digged
- «August 2017»
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend