by Diggers Reporter on 15 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 14 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 14 Sep 2019by Julia Malunga on 14 Sep 2019
by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 13 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 5 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
HH’s wife asks court to throw out libel suit for lacking meritBy Mukosha Funga on 28 Jul 2017
Hakainde Hichilema’s wife Mutinta has asked the Lusaka High Court to throw out a case in which a Lusaka man sued her for libel claiming K5 billion saying it is incompetently before court.
In his statement of claim, Simon Bobo had alleged that Mutinta issued a fabricated story on April 30 that he blocked her vehicle, took pictures and insulted her at the Lusaka Central Prison after she visited her husband.
But Mutinta observed that Bobo’s statement of claim did not contain the words complained of verbatim neither was the context and background provided.
“That the publications in which I allegedly made the defamatory statement have not been identified by name, date or description. That the plaintiff complains of his picture being cropped and used to publish a statement in the Zambian Eagle online publication, The Mast Newspaper and Watchdog but does not attribute the cropping of the picture in these publications to me,” Mutinta stated.
“That I am advised by counsel and verily believe the same to be true that the actual words complained of in a defamatory action must set out in the statement of claim to enable this honorable court to judge whether the words constitute a ground of action…the publication from which the words complained of were taken should be identified by name, date or description which has not been done by the plaintiff in this case.”
She further stated that the claim could not be amended and therefore asked the court to dismiss Bobo’s action with costs for not only being inherently defective, mischievous and unmeritorious but also for failing to disclose the cause of action as words complained had not been included.
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha is interested in good governance and anti-corruption reporting.
- Lungu fires 3 permanent secretaries, makes reshuffles - 3 Sep 2019
- ZRA resolves $7.6 billion tax “evasion” by Kalumbila, waives some penalties - 26 Aug 2019
- Kabwe children contaminated with toxic Lead, reveals Human Rights Watch - 26 Aug 2019
- Luapula man beats wife to death for being drunk - 25 Aug 2019
- Govt’s job is not to defend the corrupt, but prosecute them – Mwenye - 23 Aug 2019
- If you don’t want to refine our constitution, we will refine it - Lungu (2,576 views)
- I'm not a drug dealer, I don't know Goswami, says Findlay (2,543 views)
- 4 Lusaka men sue Kaizer Zulu for kidnapping and beating them (1,419 view)
- Kambwili is already a dead man, no one can kill him – Mumbi (1,235 view)
- Govt deports Top Star's CEO (1,123 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend