- by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Aug 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Aug 2017by Tenson Mkhala on 17 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 10 Aug 2017
- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Mukosha Funga on 15 Aug 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Aug 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 17 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017by Diggers Reporter on 16 Aug 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Mukosha Funga on 3 Aug 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 31 Jul 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 30 Jul 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Jul 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017by Dr. Vernon J Mwaanga on 25 Jul 2017by David Julian Wightman on 8 Jul 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jul 2017
Keith grills Police ChiefBy Mukosha Funga on 1 Aug 2017
Inspector General of Police Kakoma Kanganja says he is not the “IG” that Amos Chanda was talking to in a telephone recording that went viral three months ago in which the duo agree to deny UPND vice-president Geoffrey Bwalya Mwamba police bond among other things.
In this matter, Kanganja sued Chilufya Tayali for libel over a Facebook posting.
When the matter came up for cross examination before Lusaka magistrate Felix Kaoma yesterday, one of the recordings played before the court was the conversation between the IG and Amos.
But Kanganja said it was not him who had such a conversation with Amos adding that investigations were underway to ascertain the origin of the said recording.
“I am not the one in that recording that is why there is that investigation. I don’t know the voice of the other person and I am not familiar with that voice because I am not privy to that recording… I don’t talk to Amos Chanda often, I don’t report to him…but I speak to him when we meet,” Kanganja said.
Asked if he was familiar with his own voice, Kanganja replied in the negative saying sometimes, like yesterday, it was distorted because of flu.
When asked why police spokesperson Esther Mwaata Katongo did not refute the audio recording as fake when she held a press briefing to announce investigations into the matter, Kanganja said he was not aware of any such press briefing.
“I am not aware of that press briefing. I am not always in the office…She usually tells me whenever she wants to give a statement and I give her authority to do that…things cannot be done behind my back,” Kanganja, who insisted on standing during the taxing four-hour long session, said.
Kanganja however warned that all those who were circulating the audio in question would be arrested.
He also admitted in cross examination led by Keith Mweemba that UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema was authorized to be on the Limulunga road in Mongu before the infamous motorcade incident.
Asked if he bothered to ask any of his officers why President Edgar Lungu’s window was rolled down, the police chief said he never bothered to find out.
Kanganja also admitted that calls for his resignation begun way before Tayali’s posting adding that Patriotic Front Deputy Spokesperson Mumbi Phiri “called” him in person demanding that he steps down from his position.
“He is not the only one who called for my resignation but his was so serious and that’s why we are here,” said Kanganja.
Cross examination continues today and Kanganja is expected to read out a list of all those who called him to demand his resignation after Tayali’s posting as instructed by Keith.
Download the News Diggers e-Paper edition 15 to read the verbatim of court proceedings.
To receive the News Diggers e-Paper straight to your phone, Whatsapp “Subsribe” to 0977708285 or 0965815078.
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- ZANASU drags Luo to court over threats to ban students unions - 17 Aug 2017
- Minister explains mandatory HIV testing policy - 17 Aug 2017
- HH’s release first step towards restoring democracy in Zambia – Maimane - 17 Aug 2017
- Freeing HH proves Judiciary is independent – PF - 16 Aug 2017
- It is not a nolle: Treason case has been dropped in public interest – Mwiimbu - 16 Aug 2017
Weekly Most Digged
- «August 2017»
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend