by Natasha Sakala on 17 Jan 2020by Natasha Sakala on 17 Jan 2020by Ulande Nkomesha on 17 Jan 2020by Ulande Nkomesha on 17 Jan 2020
by Stuart Lisulo on 16 Jan 2020by Stuart Lisulo on 15 Jan 2020by Ulande Nkomesha on 13 Jan 2020by Natasha Sakala on 12 Jan 2020
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Jan 2020by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Jan 2020by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Jan 2020by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Jan 2020
- Goal Diggers
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 15 Jan 2020by Abraham Kalito on 14 Jan 2020by Abraham Kalito on 13 Jan 2020by Tim Zulu on 13 Jan 2020
by Diggers Editor on 17 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 16 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 14 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 12 Jan 2020
- Guest Diggers
by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Jan 2020by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 14 Jan 2020by Julius Kapembwa, PhD on 7 Jan 2020by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 6 Jan 2020
- Editor's Choice
by Sikonathi Mantshantsha on 11 Jan 2020by Amber Phillips on 19 Dec 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 17 Jan 2020by Diggers Editor on 17 Jan 2020by Zindikilani Banda in Sinda on 9 Jan 2020by Felix Kashweka on 17 Dec 2019
Registrar explains how Lungu applied to add the name “Chagwa” on NRCBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Jul 2019
Department of National Registration, Passport and Citizenship registrar Agness Musonda has testified in the Lusaka Magistrates’ Court that Edgar Lungu was born in Ndola in 1956 and he applied to add the name “Chagwa” in 1986.
Meanwhile, Musonda admitted that Zambians were free to discuss the identity and origin of their President but added that she had never heard of anyone having more than two NRCs.
In this matter, New Labour Party leader Fresher Siwale is charged with Defamation of the President.
Siwale is alleged to have on April 22, 2018, with intent to bring the name of President Edgar Lungu into ridicule, did publish defamatory matter by word of mouth to which he said ‘the President of the Republic of Zambia is not the actual Edgar Chagwa Lungu but Jonathan Mutawale, he must be arrested for having three National Registration Cards, he is an identity thief’.
When the matter came up for continued trial before Principle resident magistrate Alice Walusiku, Wednesday, Musonda, 53, told the court that her duties included, record keeping and registration, verifying records with other institutions and supervising registry staff at the Headquarters.
She told that court that she received a letter from the Inspector General of Police requesting verification of two NRC numbers.
“The first one was 216992/67/1 and the second one was NRC number 652489/11/1,” Musonda said.
She said after checking the records, she informed the police that NRC number 216992/67/1 was issued to Lungu Edgar who was born on November 11, 1956 in Ndola and that at the time he was getting the NRC in 1973, he was residing in Kitwe’s Chimwemwe area.
Musonda testified that on the same NRC in 1986, Lungu Edgar applied for addition of a name, “Chagwa”, which was added on November 18, 1986.
“As at now, the names are reading ‘Lungu Edgar Chagwa’,” the witness added.
Musonda further testified that according to records at the department, the other NRC number 652489/11/1, belonged to Lungu Edgar who was born on February 7, 1974 in Lusaka, adding that at the time of getting the NRC on June 27, 1995 he was residing in Lusaka’s Rhodes Park area.
“I provided the information to the IG, Police,” she said.
The witness testified that the two NRC numbers belonged to two different people, adding that from the records, she was able to tell that the two were alive as the records were still valid.
In cross examination by defence counsel Gilbert Phiri, the witness informed the court that she was unable to tell how many people go by the name “Edgar Lungu” unless she was given a chance to check the database.
She, however, admitted that Edgar Chagwa Lungu was the same person who became President of Zambia.
Musonda also admitted that Zambians were free to discuss the identity and origin of their President.
She added that she didn’t know whether “Jonathan Mutaware” appeared in their database.
Musonda further said she had never heard of anyone having more than two NRCs.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- Court orders PF to pay Lusaka Voice over K400,000 for adverts, breach of contract - 17 Jan 2020
- We stand by our report, Diggers – EIA - 17 Jan 2020
- Ex-OP official challenges dismissal in High Court - 16 Jan 2020
- Chipimo’s son admits trafficking in narcotic drugs - 16 Jan 2020
- Maid admits poisoning boss’ breakfast - 16 Jan 2020
- Maid admits poisoning boss' breakfast (8,037 views)
- Start preparing your exit, Chilubi is ours, Mumbi taunts HH (2,559 views)
- Mundende, board must resign to improve Zesco’s performance – Eskom consultant (2,240 views)
- How Zesco imported Air from Eskom and made people pay for it (2,023 views)
- Ex-OP official challenges dismissal in High Court (1,941 view)
- Zesco getting money by false pretences, hiking electricity which they don’t have – Nawakwi
- Mundende, board must resign to improve Zesco’s performance – Eskom consultant
- Transfers at KCM not political, they’re for operational efficiency – Milingo
- Police capture 365 GBV cases in 2 days
- We’ll sue ECZ if they fail to sponsor observers to Dubai – UPND
- Kamanga takes fresh swipe at Kalusha Bwalya
- How Zesco imported Air from Eskom and made people pay for it
- Maid admits poisoning boss' breakfast
- PF Central Committee's Lungu endorsement disadvantaging others - Panji Kaunda
- IMF package will be bitter, it won’t be about tightening belts but skirts - Nawakwi
Subscribe For News In Email
ArchivesFeb0 PostsMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- January 2020
- December 2019
- November 2019
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- October 2018
- September 2018
- August 2018
- July 2018
- June 2018
- May 2018
- April 2018
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend