- by Mukosha Funga on 25 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 24 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 24 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 24 Aug 2019
- by Stuart Lisulo on 23 Aug 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 22 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 25 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Aug 2019by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 23 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 25 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 24 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 22 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Registrar explains how Lungu applied to add the name “Chagwa” on NRCBy Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Jul 2019
Department of National Registration, Passport and Citizenship registrar Agness Musonda has testified in the Lusaka Magistrates’ Court that Edgar Lungu was born in Ndola in 1956 and he applied to add the name “Chagwa” in 1986.
Meanwhile, Musonda admitted that Zambians were free to discuss the identity and origin of their President but added that she had never heard of anyone having more than two NRCs.
In this matter, New Labour Party leader Fresher Siwale is charged with Defamation of the President.
Siwale is alleged to have on April 22, 2018, with intent to bring the name of President Edgar Lungu into ridicule, did publish defamatory matter by word of mouth to which he said ‘the President of the Republic of Zambia is not the actual Edgar Chagwa Lungu but Jonathan Mutawale, he must be arrested for having three National Registration Cards, he is an identity thief’.
When the matter came up for continued trial before Principle resident magistrate Alice Walusiku, Wednesday, Musonda, 53, told the court that her duties included, record keeping and registration, verifying records with other institutions and supervising registry staff at the Headquarters.
She told that court that she received a letter from the Inspector General of Police requesting verification of two NRC numbers.
“The first one was 216992/67/1 and the second one was NRC number 652489/11/1,” Musonda said.
She said after checking the records, she informed the police that NRC number 216992/67/1 was issued to Lungu Edgar who was born on November 11, 1956 in Ndola and that at the time he was getting the NRC in 1973, he was residing in Kitwe’s Chimwemwe area.
Musonda testified that on the same NRC in 1986, Lungu Edgar applied for addition of a name, “Chagwa”, which was added on November 18, 1986.
“As at now, the names are reading ‘Lungu Edgar Chagwa’,” the witness added.
Musonda further testified that according to records at the department, the other NRC number 652489/11/1, belonged to Lungu Edgar who was born on February 7, 1974 in Lusaka, adding that at the time of getting the NRC on June 27, 1995 he was residing in Lusaka’s Rhodes Park area.
“I provided the information to the IG, Police,” she said.
The witness testified that the two NRC numbers belonged to two different people, adding that from the records, she was able to tell that the two were alive as the records were still valid.
In cross examination by defence counsel Gilbert Phiri, the witness informed the court that she was unable to tell how many people go by the name “Edgar Lungu” unless she was given a chance to check the database.
She, however, admitted that Edgar Chagwa Lungu was the same person who became President of Zambia.
Musonda also admitted that Zambians were free to discuss the identity and origin of their President.
She added that she didn’t know whether “Jonathan Mutaware” appeared in their database.
Musonda further said she had never heard of anyone having more than two NRCs.
About Zondiwe Mbewe
Zondiwe has interest in writing political and current affairs on issues which affect every Zambians.
Email: zondiwe [at] diggers [dot] news
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt - 25 Aug 2019
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit - 24 Aug 2019
- High Court restrains Tilyenji from acting as UNIP president - 24 Aug 2019
- ConCourt has jurisdiction to hear my petition, submits Lundazi Central losing candidate - 23 Aug 2019
- Pathologist testifies in ritual killing case - 23 Aug 2019
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other (1,971 view)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt (1,397 view)
- Why was impeachment motion halted if courts have no bearing on Parley, HH asks Matibini (1,047 view)
- LAZ warns Speaker, MPs of contempt over Bill 10 (958 views)
- Indeed, the Speaker is being mischievous on Amendment Bill 10 (821 views)
- LAZ wants ConCourt to send Tutwa to jail for contempt
- Luapula man beats wife to death for being drunk
- Don’t worry Musa, Saasa; the corrupt defend each other
- KCM opposes Vedanta’s application to disregard in-house lawyer’s affidavit
- Maize dependency will continue making Zambia vulnerable to hunger – Kayula
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend