- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 24 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 24 Nov 2017by Mukosha Funga on 23 Nov 2017by Joseph Mwenda on 23 Nov 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 24 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Nov 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Nov 2017
- by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Nov 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Laura Miti on 24 Nov 2017by The Washington Post on 16 Nov 2017by Times of Zambia employees on 15 Nov 2017by Lulu Wood on 10 Nov 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 23 Nov 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 20 Nov 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 18 Nov 2017by Diggers contributor on 7 Nov 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 18 Nov 2017by Ambassador Eric Schultz on 13 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 9 Nov 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 29 Oct 2017
Lungu can’t stand in 2021 – YALIBy Stella Goma on 6 Jan 2017
Young African Leader’s Initiative Governance adviser Isaac Mwanza says President Edgar Lungu is not qualified to stand in 2021 because he would have held the office for two terms.
Mwanza, who supported President Lungu in the last general elections, said the Constitution was very clear that anyone who had held office twice could not recontest.
“The constitution is very clear, we only have one constitution and Zambians got to know this that we only have one constitution which is the constitution of Zambia of 1991 under which President [Frederick] Chiluba was bound, President [Levy] Mwanawansa was elected, President [Michael] Sata was elected, including President Lungu has twice being elected under the same piece of the Constitution and the Constitution is very clear. Anybody who has held office twice as the President of the Republic of Zambia is not eligible to stand as a President to hold office for the third time or forth time,” said Mwanza.
Mwanza urged Lungu to understand the Constitution before telling the nation that he was eligible. He said it was actually unnecessary for President Lungu to start commenting on the issue now.
Yesterday, January 5, 2016, President Lungu declared that he would contest the 2021 elections, a statement which has sparked widespread criticism.
“I read the Constitution yesterday, I am eligible for 2021. If you want you can go to the Constitutional Court. I am eligible to stand for elections in 2021 and God willing if I am around, if I am still alive, I will stand,” said President Lungu.
About Stella Goma
Stella Goma is a Zambian journalist with a passion for a democratic society and transparency in governance.
Email: stella [at] diggers [dot] news
- Mosho confirms auction sale of Post assets - 5 Apr 2017
- There’s too much animosity between PF and UPND – HRC - 4 Apr 2017
- HH says Lungu is a clueless hyena - 4 Apr 2017
- Matale defends LAZ - 1 Feb 2017
- Dancing officer identified, to face tribunal - 30 Jan 2017
You may also like...
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «November 2017»
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend