- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 23 Sep 2017by Mukosha Funga on 23 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Sep 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 23 Sep 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mirriam Chabala on 23 Sep 2017by Mukosha Funga on 23 Sep 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Sep 2017by Joseph Mwenda on 21 Sep 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 23 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Sep 2017by Diggers Reporter on 22 Sep 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017by Elias Munshya on 18 Sep 2017by President Edgar Lungu on 13 Sep 2017by Diggers Correspondent on 10 Sep 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Lungu can’t stand in 2021 – YALIBy Stella Goma on 6 Jan 2017
Young African Leader’s Initiative Governance adviser Isaac Mwanza says President Edgar Lungu is not qualified to stand in 2021 because he would have held the office for two terms.
Mwanza, who supported President Lungu in the last general elections, said the Constitution was very clear that anyone who had held office twice could not recontest.
“The constitution is very clear, we only have one constitution and Zambians got to know this that we only have one constitution which is the constitution of Zambia of 1991 under which President [Frederick] Chiluba was bound, President [Levy] Mwanawansa was elected, President [Michael] Sata was elected, including President Lungu has twice being elected under the same piece of the Constitution and the Constitution is very clear. Anybody who has held office twice as the President of the Republic of Zambia is not eligible to stand as a President to hold office for the third time or forth time,” said Mwanza.
Mwanza urged Lungu to understand the Constitution before telling the nation that he was eligible. He said it was actually unnecessary for President Lungu to start commenting on the issue now.
Yesterday, January 5, 2016, President Lungu declared that he would contest the 2021 elections, a statement which has sparked widespread criticism.
“I read the Constitution yesterday, I am eligible for 2021. If you want you can go to the Constitutional Court. I am eligible to stand for elections in 2021 and God willing if I am around, if I am still alive, I will stand,” said President Lungu.
About Stella Goma
Stella Goma is a Zambian journalist with a passion for a democratic society and transparency in governance.
Email: stella [at] diggers [dot] news
- Mosho confirms auction sale of Post assets - 5 Apr 2017
- There’s too much animosity between PF and UPND – HRC - 4 Apr 2017
- HH says Lungu is a clueless hyena - 4 Apr 2017
- Matale defends LAZ - 1 Feb 2017
- Dancing officer identified, to face tribunal - 30 Jan 2017
You may also like...
- It has now become a trend for traffic officers to be beaten - Munir Zulu
- Lungu has taken Zambians for fools – Chipimo
- Zambian professor melts hearts for helping single mother baby sit in his class
- It's hard to believe Kambwili's accusations in the absence of evidence - Wynter
- Kampyongo got three cars for awarding fire tender contract to Grandview - Kambwili
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «September 2017»
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend