by Abraham Kalito on 22 Mar 2018by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 22 Mar 2018by Mukosha Funga on 22 Mar 2018by Nancy Moonga on 22 Mar 2018
- Goal Diggers
by Mirriam Chabala on 22 Mar 2018by Mirriam Chabala on 21 Mar 2018by Nancy Moonga on 21 Mar 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Mar 2018
by Daniel Chansa on 22 Mar 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Mar 2018by Zondiwe Mbewe on 19 Mar 2018by Diggers Reporter on 7 Mar 2018
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Editor on 22 Mar 2018by Diggers Editor on 21 Mar 2018by Diggers Editor on 19 Mar 2018by Diggers Editor on 17 Mar 2018
by Felix Kashweka on 10 Mar 2018by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 2 Mar 2018by Felix Kashweka on 24 Feb 2018by Felix Kashweka on 24 Feb 2018
- Guest Diggers
Police lurch on UPND’s court application to punish HHBy Mukosha Funga on 14 Apr 2017
Police spokesperson Esther Mwaata Katongo says UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema cannot be taken to court to take plea in treason case until the matter in which he applied for Habeas Corpus is disposed off.
The UPND made a Habeas Corpus application, demanding that HH is taken before court on grounds that his detention was illegal and that he had not been charged.
The police, through Assistant Superintendent Mpazi Mbita, however argued that the matter had been overtaken by events as HH had finally been charged and further submitted that there was no need for the application to be considered.
But Lusaka High Court judge Getrude Chawatama reserved her ruling to April 18.
The position taken by the police command means the docket of case against HH will not be submitted to Director of Public Prosecutions Lillian Siyunyi, who otherwise has the authority to take HH to court even before the Habeas Corpus matter is concluded.
If judge Chawatama choses to adjourn the matter further after April 18, this may see HH staying longer in secluded police custody without appearing in court.
Responding to questions from journalists today, Katongo said police could not proceed when the other case was still active in court.
“We cannot proceed when there is another hearing concerning the same case…Habeas Corpus,” said Katongo.
On Monday, heavily armed police raided HH’s house seeking to arrest him for failing to give way to the Head of State’s motorcade in Mongu.
The following day, HH was arrested and jointly charged with five others for treason, among other charges.
HH’s wife, Mutinta narrated to journalists how police destroyed property and used excessive force in their pursuit.
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha Funga is a Zambian journalist interested in good governance and anti corruption reporting.
- Increase tax on beer instead of making people pay borehole tax – Mwashingwele - 22 Mar 2018
- Namugala tells Kapata not to blame social media for govt-caused misinformation - 22 Mar 2018
- Minister explains UTH power outage - 22 Mar 2018
- CBU lecturers abusing justice process – CSER - 21 Mar 2018
- Lusambo takes walk of shame, vows to die for Lungu - 21 Mar 2018
- Police arrest Kambwili, slap him with 37 counts of having money suspected to be proceeds of crime
- Judge Musona finally views 'missing' Munali violence video
- Police release Kambwili, order him to report at Woodlands station tomorrow
- Kalaba distances himself from extravagant spending on Lungu's trips
- Our ethics demand that we respect Mr Chanda’s reaction
- HPCZ drags Lafarge to court for operating illegal clinic, dispensing expired drugs
- Speaker orders Kambwili to apologise for ‘maligning’ Kampyongo, Grandview
- Investigative journalism key to development – Foote
- Increase tax on beer instead of making people pay borehole tax – Mwashingwele
- UZi will enhance competition, lower cost of mobile services – CCPC
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
ArchivesApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
- March 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend