- by Mukosha Funga on 21 Aug 2019by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Julia Malunga on 21 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 21 Aug 2019
- by Ulande Nkomesha on 21 Aug 2019by Memory Chipili in Solwezi on 20 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 19 Aug 2019by Natasha Sakala on 17 Aug 2019
- by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 21 Aug 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 20 Aug 2019
- Goal Diggers
- by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 8 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 5 Aug 2019by Abraham Kalito on 28 Jul 2019
- by Diggers Editor on 21 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 20 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 18 Aug 2019by Diggers Editor on 16 Aug 2019
- Guest Diggers
- by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019by CUTS on 4 Aug 2019by Kangwa Muyunda on 3 Aug 2019by Rueben Lifuka on 31 Jul 2019
- Editor's Choice
- by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
- by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
Nothing will stop Lungu from standing in 2021 – MwilaBy Mirriam Chabala on 14 Nov 2017
Patriotic Front Secretary General Davies Mwila says the ruling party has already made a decision that President Edgar Lungu will stand in 2021, and that the decision is final no matter what happens.
He refused to discuss the eligibility case against the Head of State which is before the Constitutional Court, saying while the party will wait for the judges’ interpretation of the law, the Central Committee’s resolve to field President Lungu would not change.
In this question and answer interview which unfortunately turns emotional, I ask Mwila to explain why he says President Lungu would be recontesting the presidency when the Head of State told citizens recently that he would only go upto 2021.
Mwila’s Answer: That’s what I have said. The President was talking about his term of office, he didn’t say that… The President was talking about his term of office, he didn’t say that ‘I will not stand in 2021’. So, you get the whole statement from ZNBC. That is a small clip… So what do you want me to do madam?
My Question: The reason I am calling you is I want to verify because often times when we quote… (Mwila interrupts)
A: I have given a statement and that’s a party position. That is our position as a party and it will not change.
A: So what I have told you, that’s the party position. I speak on behalf of the party, what is inside the party not what is in the head of [Chishimba] Kambwili, no!
Q: But I am saying that you have resolved as a party that you have endorsed President Lungu for the 2021 elections. But my question is this, there is a case of his eligibility still in court.
A: What do you mean? So you want me to start debating on the issue that is in Court?
Q: No! I was thinking that, are you not going to wait for… (Mwila interrupts)
A: We have said that, as a party, he is eligible to stand. We have talked about this matter.
Q: Yes, now what about waiting for the court’s decision before you can finally endorse him?
A: We will wait for the Courts to decide [because] we cannot speak for the courts.
Q: No, I am not saying you should speak for the courts but… (Mwila interrupts)
A: So what do you want me to say madam, what do you want me to say?
Q: I was only saying that wouldn’t it have been appropriate for the party to wait before they endorse a candidate since… (Mwila interrupts)
A: The party made a decision, we didn’t wait. We made this decision before going to court so the decision is still binding.
Q: Okay, how about if the outcome of the court says that the President is not eligible, what happens?
A: what do you mean? We can’t speak for the courts, that is a debate. You can’t talk about an issue which is in court. We leave it for the courts to decide, not us.
Q: Yes, I am not saying that you should decide for the courts sir but… (Mwila interrupts)
A: But why are you wishing that the judgment should come negative? No!! Let’s wait for the courts to decide, it ends there.
Q: Yes, that’s where my question is, now why are you not waiting, you have already endorsed.
A: We endorsed a long time before the matter went to court. We endorsed President Edgar Lungu before the matter went to court.
Q: Yes, now that it is in court you have kept saying that he is your sole candidate, you are just from telling me that you have made a decision…(Mwila interrupts)
A: What do you want me to say?
Q: I want you to say that, are you not going to wait…
A: I have said it and I have told you that the President will not change.
Q: Alright then
A: President Lungu remains the candidate in 2021 for PF
Q: Even if the court rules against it?
A: No, I will not respond on that.
A: …because it is now a debate.
Take a listen:
About Mirriam Chabala
Mirriam covers current affairs and writes in-depth feature articles on social issues.
Email: mirriam [at] diggers [dot] news
- Kabimba to commence judicial review proceedings into 48 houses scandal - 12 Aug 2019
- It’s nonsense for Lungu to exclude himself from austerity measures – Kambwili - 12 Aug 2019
- We need genuine dialogue before any constitutional amendment – Sacika - 12 Aug 2019
- UPND responds to Moonga: Tribal campaigns no longer sell because we are all suffering - 9 Aug 2019
- Govt can’t announce new KCM investor because case is in court – Musukwa - 9 Aug 2019
- Ndulo, Sangwa must be drunk to think they can sue Lungu - Tutwa (2,637 views)
- Opposition MPs with plots in Forest 27 must give them up - Nkombo (2,474 views)
- State witness in Chimese’s case in court for perjury (2,050 views)
- If some UPND MPs want to support Bill 10, they must reflect, think about the people - Mwiimbu (1,413 view)
- Ingredients are right for UPND to form govt - HH (1,083 view)
- Lungu leads 34 member delegation to India
- PF clueless on how to fix declining economy – Kabimba
- You’ll create constitutional crisis if you rule Matibini out of order on Roan seat, Mwansa tells ConCourt
- Mealie meal has become too expensive for ordinary Zambians – Msoni
- British envoy urges Chevening scholars to use their talent to develop Zambia after study
- Lungu was one of my brightest pupils, retired teacher tells court
- Tutwa leads campaign to impeach LAZ president
- It's not LAZ but 2,3 overzealous lawyers challenging Bill 10 - Siliya
- Development will follow those who cry the most, says Lungu
- I'm suing Tutwa for alleging that I've been paid to fight govt - LAZ president
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend