by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 15 Sep 2019by Stuart Lisulo on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019by Natasha Sakala on 13 Sep 2019
by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Correspondent on 16 Sep 2019by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Sep 2019
- Goal Diggers
by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 13 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 12 Sep 2019by Abraham Kalito on 11 Sep 2019
by Diggers Editor on 16 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 15 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 9 Sep 2019by Diggers Editor on 7 Sep 2019
- Guest Diggers
by Simon Manda, PhD on 16 Sep 2019by Simon Manda, PhD on 7 Sep 2019by pilAto/ Fumba Chama on 7 Sep 2019by Chisoni Mumba, PhD on 17 Aug 2019
- Editor's Choice
by Diggers Correspondent on 24 May 2019by Diggers Reporter on 4 Mar 2019by Andyford Mayele Banda on 29 Jan 2019by Davies Mwila on 22 Jan 2019
by Diggers Correspondent on 11 Aug 2019by Mukosha Funga on 27 Jul 2019by Mukosha Funga on 21 Jul 2019by Web Master on 27 Jun 2019
ZCSD joins calls to remove presidential immunityBy Mukosha Funga on 6 Feb 2018
The Zambia Council for Social Development (ZCSD) has urged Zambians to demand the removal of the Presidential immunity from the Constitution so that criminals are not legally protected.
In a statement, Monday, ZCSD executive director Lewis Mwape stated that no one should have immunity from accounting for their actions.
“ZCSD acknowledges that modern democracy and politics may demand that leaders become more accountable and citizens must hold them accountable at all times. When we say leaders; we mean from both the opposition and the ruling, from Corporate both private and public, from NGOs, from Church leaders and spheres of leadership. As an organisation, we are of the view that ‘no one must have immunity to face the law or to be held accountable even through legal means’! We therefore call on Zambians to demand for removal of Presidential immunity from our Constitution! Criminals must not be legally protected by the constitution of the Land!” Mwape stated.
He stated that all institutions, including the presidency, should be unanswerable to the judicial process.
“For the nation to be successful in the fight against corruption and establishment of accountable governance systems; all institutions must be unanswerable to the judicial processes including presidency while in office. Presidential accountability must not be an act of harassment by incumbent leadership but by the lawful systems that would be able to hold presidents accountable whilst in office. At the moment, the office of the president is used as a shield by those appointed to run government and the political followers or cadres of a ruling party and thus commit crimes and abuse public assets and resources with impunity,” stated Mwape.
About Mukosha Funga
Mukosha is interested in good governance and anti-corruption reporting.
- Lungu fires 3 permanent secretaries, makes reshuffles - 3 Sep 2019
- ZRA resolves $7.6 billion tax “evasion” by Kalumbila, waives some penalties - 26 Aug 2019
- Kabwe children contaminated with toxic Lead, reveals Human Rights Watch - 26 Aug 2019
- Luapula man beats wife to death for being drunk - 25 Aug 2019
- Govt’s job is not to defend the corrupt, but prosecute them – Mwenye - 23 Aug 2019
- We warned Lungu over his friendship with Valden Findlay (4,796 views)
- Findlay knows Goswami; I've been in their presence before, reveals Kaweche Kaunda (2,230 views)
- British man in court for assaulting Zambian cleaner girlfriend (1,606 view)
- Bill 10 is nonsensical – Chongwe (1,521 view)
- How will judges rule on Bill 10 after submitting to Parley? (1,280 view)
- It makes us sad that we can't stick to load shedding schedule - Zesco
- Switch to cheaper food, Wina urges Zambians
- Findlay drug allegations shake State House as Lungu orders probe
- It's impossible to reduce mealie meal prices, brace for harder times, warns GBM
- Chipolopolo had horror moment in Brazzaville - FAZ
Subscribe For News In Email
The News Diggers
Deputy News Editor
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend