- by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 17 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 17 Oct 2017
- Goal Diggers
- by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017by Mirriam Chabala on 14 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Oct 2017by Zondiwe Mbewe on 13 Oct 2017
- by Mukosha Funga on 17 Oct 2017by Mukosha Funga on 16 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 13 Oct 2017
- Editor's Choice
- by By Dr Canisius Banda on 9 Oct 2017by Brig Gen Godfrey Miyanda on 3 Oct 2017by Chishimba Kambwili on 24 Sep 2017by Diggers Editor on 22 Sep 2017
- by Aleksander Pichkur on 16 Oct 2017by Sipilisiwe Ncube on 16 Oct 2017by William Chileshe on 13 Oct 2017by Diggers Reporter on 12 Oct 2017
- Guest Diggers
- by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 14 Sep 2017by Guest Digger on 8 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 3 Sep 2017by Sishuwa Sishuwa on 4 Aug 2017
Man accused of painting “Free HH” graffiti demands bailBy Mukosha Funga on 7 Jul 2017
The Lusaka man accused of being behind “Free HH” graffiti at Government Complex has sued the state demanding to be brought before court so that he can ask for bail.
Through his lawyer, Nchimunya Mwange, Mwanakatwe Sikasula filed an Ex-parte notice of motion for Writ of Habeas Corpus citing the Attorney General as the respondent in the Lusaka High Court yesterday.
In an affidavit in support if his motion, Mwange complained that his client had been in detention since June 28, 2017 without being brought to court.
“That on the 28th day of June, 2017, the applicant was apprehended by the police from Government Complex and accused of being behind the graffiti entitled ‘Free HH’ and taken to the Lusaka Central Police. He was charged with idle and disorderly conduct under Section 179 of the Penal Code which is a bailable offense. That the arrest and continued detention of the Applicant is unlawful and unconstitutional as he has not been granted bond despite many efforts that have been made to have him released on police bond and he has been in detention for one week without appearing in court so as to apply for bail,” Mwange stated.
He asked the court to compel the Lusaka Central Police Station officer in charge to bring his client before court.
“That I therefore respectively apply to this honorable court to issue forthwith a writ directing the officer in charge at Lusaka Central Police Station and others who may have and/or control of me to have the applicant’s body before this honorable court immediately after receipt of such writ to undergo and receive all and singular such matters and things as this honorable court shall then and there consider of and concerning the applicant in this behalf. That it is therefore needful for this court to adopt special responsibility regarding the continued denial of the applicant’s liberty by the respondent and as such the court’s most anxious scrutiny of the continued detention must be exercised,” stated Mwange.
“That the circumstances of this case require that the writ of habeas corpus does issue immediately as the applicant is being illegally held without cause as he has been denied bond and not appeared in court. That I accordingly crave the indulgence of this court forthwith issue a Writ of Habeas Corpus.”
About Mukosha Funga
Interested in good governance and youth empowerment.
- DPP abusing nolles – HH - 17 Oct 2017
- UNZA gives “Ruins” to female students in a bid to stop riots - 16 Oct 2017
- IMF presses Zambia redefine its borrowing plans - 16 Oct 2017
- Chama reiterates govt’s support for aviation industry - 16 Oct 2017
- Amnesty International SG to discuss human rights challenges with Lungu, others - 16 Oct 2017
Subscribe for email alerts
Weekly Most Digged
- «October 2017»
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
The News Diggers
Plot No. Lus/9812/649-MC8
off Alex Chola Road
P.O. Box 32147
Telephone or WhatsApp:
+26-097-7708285, 095-3424603, 096-5815078
diggers [at] diggers [dot] news
editor [at] diggers [dot] news
Send this to a friend